Another Texan Y'all

Hockley Homestead

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Howdy y'all. We recently moved to a few wooded acres near Houston, Texas and I'm working hard to clean up the neglected land and setup our new homestead. It's been a real task trying to get the garden started before the season got too far along while also getting settled in the house and getting critters out of all our structures. Unfortunately, since the land is currently quite overgrown the garden had to be put in a temporary spot (the front yard) until I can get enough sun in the actual garden plot.

Looking forward to sharing some of our learnings, successes, and failures and picking up some tricks from y'all as well.

Attachments

• Garden 2019.jpg
    Garden 2019.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 416

Hockley Homestead

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks. It wasn't entirely intentional. We built it out of cedar deck planks recycled from a poorly built tree house the previous owner left.

I've since found enough of these planks around to build another bed in our future garden location too.

Shelle

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome! I'm impressed that you prioritized your garden. You have a great setup there! I was raised in Houston, and it seemed everything grew well there. I miss the pine trees, mock orange, birds of paradise. We always had a vegetable garden with tomatoes, peppers, green onions, okra; everything seemed to grow really easily.

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Woohoo, another Texan !

I live not too terribly far from you and am excited for you and your new place. Let's get together and swap seeds etc.

P J the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Chaplin

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I used to live in Spring, TX. Great design on the bed

Top Bottom