And up pops the odd kiwi

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 26, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi there,

I watch your videos often as does hubby. In fact you gave us the inspiration for the raised tin garden beds that we use. We still have a few raised beds made of wood but they are slowly being replaced as we also like the idea of not "breaking the back" while we garden.

We have a half acre in the bottom of the south island of NZ. Climate is temperate which means certain vegetables like tomatoes, pumpkin, courgette/zuchini and many others do not grow outside of a greenhouse or like what we have, a large poly-tunnel. On the other hand, garlic, in fact any allium, brassica, beet, carrot and many others grow very well outside in our raised garden beds.

We are a little bit of both the survivalist and the homesteader. We both like the cooler weather and the fact that normally we have a good annual rainfall. We've been on this property now for 4 years and are steadily building up an orchard as well as the vege garden. Recently we got into chickens after someone dumped a rooster over the fence and took off.

There is so much more to us than this little bit but time, space, inclination to type and your interest may not all be available...

This is what we started with!

Our house is on a 1/4 acre section and is situated on the very front (roadside) of the section with just a small grass area that we have yet to figure out what to do with. This photo was taken at the back of the house previous to our purchase.
S1034-1449197858-27142-_MG_1947.jpg

This photo was taken in the back 1/4 acre section also previous to our our purchasing.

S1034-1449198007-22016-_MG_1967.jpg

I went outside and took a few photo's for a comparison and our usb card reader died so I can't upload just yet. Guess I'll have to post again soon!

Reactions: Mark

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Dec 22, 2019
Sydney
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
G'Day and welcome.

South Island NZ...what a place. It's got basically got every time of geography crammed into one place. Gotta love it. Bluff oyster season too right now...

Great patch you got there.

Best wishes

Reactions: nzmitzi

Vicky

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 27, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
G'day and welcome nzmitzi,
your place looks really nice, I am bit of a fan of a formal type garden - when you have the room to do some serious fruit and veg growing elsewhere! It is nice to have some order and clean lines Having said that, I can never look at it without thoughts on how to 'fix' it with more fruit and veg . Would love to hear and see more of what you are doing there, if you ever manage to get around to it!!

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 26, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'm happy to write about what we do here. It looks so much different now. We are going into town tomorrow so we will get a card reader then and I can then upload some more photos.

Reactions: Vicky

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 26, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Ok here are a few of the new phots. I tried to get some from the same perspective, but with new buildings and what we've added has made that a little difficult.
Here goes anyway!

_DSC5828.2.JPG

_DSC5842.2.JPG

We've recently topped the middle trees, but can't do the end ones because they are too big for us to do.

_DSC58212..JPG

You can see that we use our raised bed as a compost bin untill it's full enough that we can just add some dirt and plant. In the bottom we have branches from the trees we trim then compost materials on top.

_DSC5832.2.JPG

Here is the Berry Shack and the Chicken Coop with what we call the Compound. The chickens are only locked up over night and untill the eggs are laid in the morning and then we let them free range the entire property.
There is a path between and at the back of the garage are a few 1,000 litre tanks that collect the rain from the garage roof.

_DSC5819.2.JPG

Apple, pear, plum and hazelnuts in our beginners orchard. The trees are all between 3 and 4 years old.

_DSC5822.2.JPG

A combination of lower raised beds and the taller ones works for us. We just recently extended this one to go back to the fence as the space there was wasted. The height of the fence is for wind protection. We live in the roaring forties and the winds have actually broken the wind break.

Marika

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 25, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
You have SO much space, how wonderful. What I would give for open space like that.....
I love the transformation! I think your tall garden beds are great, they must be so convenient but you should cover the top edges so you don’t cut yourself!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Our house is on a 1/4 acre section and is situated on the very front (roadside) of the section with just a small grass area that we have yet to figure out what to do with. This photo was taken at the back of the house previous to our purchase.
Beautiful! Welcome to SSC and thank you for joining us :)