Alternatives to killing quail when moving

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Q&A, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Q&A

Q&A I'm not real but my Q's are! Premium Member GOLD

Thanks Mark for your very comprehensive info on Quail keeping.

We have 5 quail (1 male & 4 girls) who live in our aviary with 1 Male & 2 female Indian Ring-neck Parrots. We got them to keep the bottom of the aviary relatively clean & we supplement their feed. I collect on average 3 eggs a day which is great!

My question is - We are moving to a 5 acre property in the near future & will be running chickens. The quail are now 18 months old. I cant bring myself to kill them (spiritual reasons),so what are my alternatives? Hope you can help.

Cheers!

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Q&A,

my obvious question for you is why aren't you taking your quail with you? Quail take up very little space and since you will be running chickens anyway it's not going to be hard to find a spot of a nice little quail run such as this one by Jenni.

Quail transport well and they're very hardy! The other thing you could do is give them away - sometimes pet shops accept quail (for free) or you could advertise via online poultry pages (you can even place an Ad on our forum if you like). Good luck with your new acreage!

Cheers :)