alternative to steel lids for preserving

Pene

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2017
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'm new to this. I have had lots of jars given to me however I have a concern about some of the lids.
I seem to remember my grandma using wax paper or the like to seal the jars. Can anyone help me with this method or an alternative. I volunteer for NFP so buying lids that may not come back is really not an option as we give away the excess and I want to be sure it is safe.
thanks
Pene

Reactions: Mary Playford

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2014
SE Queensland, Australia
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi, you will have lots of fun getting into preserving. You have to be very careful with preserving food to make sure it is sealed and doesn't get any nasty bugs in it. The old way of doing things is not the recommended way to do things these days. In saying that I know a lot of people still do the older methods of preserving with no issues. A good place to start to get an idea of how to go about preserving using the current methods is to buy or borrow the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving. Big W sells it and it's not too expensive. There are also several facebook groups that can offer advice and a great place to learn.

You can buy lids on eBay pretty cheap and on the net at places like Green Living Australia I haven't heard of anyone using the wax to seal jars these days. And personally I wouldn't do it. Usually once lids have been used they can't be used again but I've heard of people using them a couple of times safely. Might depend on the lid, how it was opened, previous use etc.

So if you use the current lids to give preserves away I'd tell people they are not shelf stable and must be put in the fridge to use within a few weeks.

I can appreciate that since the jars will be given away you might not get them or the lids back so there is a cost associated with that, but what price do you put on safety and people's health. Using and eating the preserves yourself is one thing but when giving them away I think you have to be extra cautious and follow the safety guidelines.

It really isn't too hard and is a lot of fun maybe a little daunting at first but give it ago. So lovely to eat your own preserves. I gave some Blueberry Jam to family for Christmas and they loved it. :)

Linda Hipple

Premium Member
Nov 3, 2017
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi the use of wax seals for preserves is very old. I only use sterile jars and new parafin wax for each jar of fruit preserves. The recipies I use are my grate grand mothers' real sugar and salt are used, not corn syrup, and salt w/silicone (for ease of use). I don't encourage this practice if you're new to preserving...for health and sanitation reasons, and accustomed dietary practices(your gut bacteria will complain..lol).

Mary Playford

Premium Member
GOLD
Oct 24, 2014
Elizabeth, Adelaide, South Australia.
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'm new to this. I have had lots of jars given to me however I have a concern about some of the lids.
I seem to remember my grandma using wax paper or the like to seal the jars. Can anyone help me with this method or an alternative. I volunteer for NFP so buying lids that may not come back is really not an option as we give away the excess and I want to be sure it is safe.
thanks
Pene
Join this group on Facebook and they have a link for lids that you can buy online that fits all kinds of jars. Some commercial jars like pasta sauces you can reuse the lids and works great when you water bath. This group uses safe preserving/canning practices. Just ask in the group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/230513643739680/?ref=bookmarks

V8srfun

Premium Member
GOLD
Apr 13, 2020
Pennsylvania
I have re used ball canning lids with success matter of fact I have only had one lid fail to seal and it was brand new. But the truth of the matter is that re used lids should only be used for immediate consumption items as you don’t want to have a re used lid fail on you 11 months aft you put it on the shelf.

Reactions: Mary Playford

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 26, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
The wax seal your talking about is actually waxed paper or waxed cloth. I don't recommend it unless you intend to consume before the item is no longer safe as it does not seal the contents of the jar from the atmosphere.

Paraffin wax is a much safer option as you melt it into the jar to completely cover the contents and it creates a seal. However it should be checked regularly as it will shrink after awhile. You can just add more wax if you see this and the contents are still good.

Oil is another option as it will also seal off the contents from the atmosphere. This will evaporate over time and still needs to be checked regularly and topped up.

Other types of lids are available. heat sealing tops like agee or mason jar lids are an option and can be re-used as long as the lid is not damaged "IN ANY WAY".

my motto is: if in doubt - throw it out!

Mel M

Premium Member
GOLD
Jul 9, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've gotten so frustrated with my lids rusting. I didn't realize that you shouldn't reuse them. I haven't started canning yet, only have made jam once, but I used jars for storing and they rust so easily after washing. Thanks for all the good info here!

Simone Pennington

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 14, 2020
Germany
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We have never had an issue with lids rusting, we tend to buy the jars and lids that come as a set. If we use a recipe whereby the lid discolours due to use of e.g. Turmeric or Curry powders then we re-use the lid again for a similar proeject. The lids we buy come with some sort uf waxy lining , if you use a recipe with "neutral" ingredients where there is no discolouring then they are fine to use again after cleaning in just hot water we find. If I this is just wrong, please tell me. I would hate to jar my stuff up in an unsafe manner. Thanks! :)

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 26, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
As long as there is no damage to the lid (and that includes rust of any kind) they are safe to re-use. No dents in the rim, no folds in the metal from taking the lid off and no holes from taking the lid off. Also there must be no loss of the white veneer which allows rust to get in.

I find the easiest way to remove the lid is to use a spoon..... run it up the screw part of the jar to where it no longer runs up and then give a light twist and the jar should unseal leaving no damage!

Reactions: Simone Pennington

Lucas

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
St Andrews, Victoria
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Buy Stainless steel lidsand be careful opening the not to damage them

Reactions: Simone Pennington