Question Acidic soil (walnut leaf compost)

bizhat

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 19, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi!

I was wondering if anybody ever experimented with acidic compost composed of walnut leaves?

> Every year we have a literal ton of walnut leaves from our 2 trees, while usually separating it from the usual compost of grass clippings and fruit tree leaves, due to the slow rotting and tannin (acid) within, then spreading it out the lawn after a good amount of years as a kind of earth filler.
Now I have read a few articles about how various vegs and fruits actually thrive with acidic soil, eg. https://www.offthegridnews.com/survival-gardening-2/25-fruits-and-vegetables-to-grow-in-acidic-soil/ , so before I possibly do anything 'unwanted', perhaps some of you have some experience with this.

Cheers :)

daveb

Oct 22, 2020
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
i would still separate it because not only is there tannin there is another chemical in walnut - nuts - buds - leafs - stems and bark that called juglone inhibit growth of many plants. this is why you rarely see undergrowth of some grasses brambles or other plants under a walnut. its also present in other trees. although studies show certain bacteria in soil can break it down i still would not suggested to us in compost

Reactions: bizhat