Oh YEAH! That's the way to go!
Where did you get the net and frame?
Keeps out everything except rodents and possums!
Although recently I've noticed my local birds have started snipping holes in my nets.
But now it's rained, hopefully the birds will go elsewhere.
I got everything from Bunnings. I guess where I live we don't have possums and the birds don't get too adventurous so haven't had any issues yet. It's been about 2 months and no rips or holes. Fingers crossed!
Hi Rachel, I've never hand pollinated anything to be honest. I tend to plant flowers between the fruit trees on my boundary (which you can't see in this pic) but I find the Feijoa (Pineapple Guava) tree on the right just out out that photo draws all the bees in. One thing I have learnt (from my past mistakes) is to pull the net tightish so that it stretches enough to allow the bees in. This type of net has small holes to help with the potential of birds getting caught. If it's not pulled tight, the holes are a little too small for the bees to get in.
Caesar, did you design the frame yourself? Or was it a precut kit?
What sort of mesh is it? Did you have to sew it together to get such large coverage?
Rachel, just a little factoid....corn, tomatoes, capsicum, eggplant to a lesser extent cucumbers, all self pollinate. The pollen from the highest flowers wafts down over the new flowers below.
So all it needs is a gentle breeze or simple airflow. That's why you plant corn in blocks of 9 (3x3) and why you should stake your tomatoes and why some fruit better when the lower leaves are removed.
@ClissAT - No I just drew it up and went to bunnings and brought all the pipe and connectors, pipe glue (and cleaning solution) and also a 10m x 10 net. It was big enough to do the whole thing in one go and I simply buried the excess net from the sides under my Tuscan rock. If I get a chance, I might take some more detailed picks or make a video on the process.
The pipes going into the ground are pushed over green tomato stakes I also brought from Bunnings which 8 have had for years and needed a new use for.
It actually was a lot easier to make than you may think. All up, I'd say it cost be about 250 to $350 in materials.